Minestrone alla romagnola, is a fantastic vegetable soup of dense, mellow flavour. This simple yet versatile recipe is perfect for an easy lunch or filling supper.
550g of fresh courgettes, chopped
100g of fresh aubergine, chopped
3 white onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
230-250g of potatoes, peeled and chopped
120g of French green beans, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
140-150g of cabbage, shredded
140g of tomato purée
280-300g of tinned tomatoes
400g of tinned cannelloni beans (or any canned beans)
45-50g of butter
8 tablespoons of olive oils
1.5-2l of homemade meat broth, or for vegetarian option use 3 vegetable knorr like stockpot portions dissolved in 2l of hot water
1 teaspoon of lovage
1 teaspoon of thyme
1 teaspoon of rosemary
Salt and pepper to flavour
To finish off grated Parmesan or preferred cheese
1. Add olive oil into a large pan, along with butter and onion. On a medium heat, stir gently until golden but don’t take further than this stage.
2. Add carrots, celery and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add potatoes and then green beans, stir well and cook for 2-3 minutes, follow with courgette.
4. Add cabbage, and cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring it occasionally;
5. Pour in the stock mix, add tomato purée and stir well.
6. Follow with tinned tomatoes (cut into smaller pieces not large chunks).
7. Allow the soup to bubble slowly for 30-40 minutes, stirring from time to time.
8. In the meantime, add herbs and seasoning then the drained tinned beans, and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
9. Cook until consistency is fairly dense. Minestrone should never be thin and watery. If you find that the soup has become too thick, before it has finished cooking, dilute with some of the stock mix.
Recipe by The Drift Inn Kitchen Team – “The soup will be even tastier the next day! Serve with crusty bread for a heart-warming lunch or supper – enjoy!”